Thursday, September 07, 2006

Early responses to Experience and Expectations

Here are some clips from the drop box:

-I have a decent background in working with computers.  I do not know all the technical terms, but I do know how to navigate the Microsoft office applications

-Nowadays, I use the computer for writing papers, researching, listening to music and chatting.  I expect to become better with my skills in the applications mentioned above but also expand my knowledge

-My current level of expertise with computers is average.  I use my computer all the time to instant message my friends and to use the internet to check my emails and to look up information.  ... I want to know all of the different websites where I can find information I would need for research papers or any other project.  Also, I would like to learn about viruses and how to detect them on your computer.

-I am always on my computer e-mailing, checking websites, and IMing through AIM. In school I have touched upon using Power Point, Excel, and Word. However, I am no expert in the programs. Out of this class I hope to be able to use the computer to all its capabilities and use the programs without becoming frustrated

-I am sad to admit that I do not know very much about computers.  I am actually very nervous about this class and the fact that I might struggle to keep up

-I wouldn't call myself an expert because there a lot of things that I don't know about computers

-I unfortunately have a minimal experience with computers and computer programs

-I hold no interest in IT but must take it regardless. Perhaps, over the weeks, I will attain some desire to be in the class.

-As I mentioned before, I'm not very much into computer technology. I know just the basics, and that's always worked for me

-I have been exposed to most of the Microsoft Office Suite numerous times, and am quite familiar with its uses and applications. I also use email, AOL Instant Messenger, and am well aware as to how to use the Internet. However, I think that learning more about other software applications such as Maple  and/or other programs that I may encounter later in my academic and/or professional career would be beneficial. Also, I am interested to learn more about what security and privacy issues surround the IT community

-Currently, I am very comfortable with using a computer but there are always more things to learn

-Other than the various video games I play on the computer I can work quite well with Microsoft word, excel, and PowerPoint.  When it comes to going deep into my system and figuring out why my computer is slowing down and how to fix it, I usually call up one of my friends and ask him what to do

-I have been using computers since I was five years old. At my elementary school, we had computers and we had the chance to work with some of the programs like Paint

-I primarily use the computer to communicate, perform research, and complete school work. I know my around when it comes to internet browsing or interaction, however, I'm not as familiar with some major programs.

-I personally have a pretty solid background when it comes to computers.  I can say that I can recognize different aspects of all the Microsoft Office tools which would include Word, Excel, Outlook, and Microsoft Picture Manager.  I frequently use my own personal web page to connect with other people via both Facebook, and Myspace

Thanks for all of your very detailed replies!  We have quite the range of experience, so those of you who are relatively new to Infotech will find a lot to like and those of you who have more experience will find areas to learn some new tricks in as well, and hopefully become better users of the tools you already have.

Sam

No comments: